There can be instances where you may have entered the wrong name on your flight ticket. It can cause you inconvenience in your journey. The transportation authority strictly advises the airlines to allow the boarding of passengers with similar names on their ID proof. All airlines, including Delta, follow these guidelines. However, mistakes may happen, and thus Delta offers a name correction policy. But, Delta Airlines Name Change policy has certain criteria that the passengers must fulfill to get the benefit.
We will one-by-one breakdown the
- Delta name correction procedure.
- Guidelines to take advantage of it.
- How much will airlines charge additional fees for processing the request?
So, stick to the end of the blog to fully understand the Delta name change provisions.
Here are the highlights of Delta Airlines Name Change policy.
- The name change privilege is available to Delta 006 ticket stock.
- There is no restriction on the region, and the policy applies to flights all over the world.
- Delta allows passengers to change the name on their bookings only once.
- However, Delta strictly says that after the name correction, the original passengers should be the traveler.
- The Secure Flight Passenger Data (SFPD) is identical to what was provided on the initial reservation.
- Before and after purchasing a ticket, passengers must make sure their itinerary includes the right PNR for name corrections to prevent cancellation.
- After requesting a check-in for a Delta flight, name changes are not permitted.
However, you can also get help from Delta Reservations if you need to change your name on Delta flight booking under the following circumstances.
- Passenger has a flight booking on another airline such as Aeromexico, Korean Air, Air France, KLM, or Virgin Atlantic.
- The passenger needs to change more than three letters in their last name.
- If the itinerary includes travel to or from India.
- If the schedule involves travel to or from China.
- In case the passenger wants to modify its name once again.
- As per the Delta name change policy, the Basic economy tickets are non-refundable and non-changeable. However, you can modify the name during the 24-hour risk-free period.
- You can alter your flight with a non-refundable ticket by paying the price difference plus a change fee that ranges from $0 to $400, depending on your route of travel.
- On the other hand, refundable tickets allow name changes without any extra charges.
For legal reasons such as a gender change, marriage, or divorce, passengers can request a name change on their Delta tickets. For a Delta legal name change, take into account the following information:
- Passengers have to present official government documents, such as a court order or legal notification, which enables them to obtain a legal name change.
- In the case of a name change on Delta Airlines tickets due to marriage, travelers have to provide a marriage certificate.
- On the other hand, if a traveler is planning to modify their name on a flight ticket due to divorce, they have to present the divorce decree, the legal notice, and any other relevant documents.
Under Delta Airlines’ change name on ticket policy, you can change the name directly in the PNR and reissue the ticket. However, Delta does not allow any other changes, such as changes to the flight date or the passenger’s date of birth. You can make the following minor name corrections on Delta tickets.
The first or middle name on the ticket can be changed by individuals or travel agents.
To inform the PNR that a name correction has been made in the first or middle name, include the following OSI message:
OSI DL NAME CORRECTION TO FIRST/MIDDLE NAME ONLY
According to the Delta Airlines Name Change Policy, travelers can make corrections up to three characters in their last name.
Add the following OSI message to the PNR to indicate that the last name has been corrected:
OSI DL NAME CORRECTION TO 3 LETTERS OF LAST NAME ONLY
If a correction to the last name calls for more than three characters, travelers have to contact the Reservation Desk.
If you are willing to add a last name without changing any name, you can do it on Delta bookings. For example – ANDERSON/KEVIN becomes ANDERSONSWANN/KEVIN.
Correct the name in the PNR and add the following OSI message to the PNR to indicate that the name has been corrected:
OSI DL NAME CORRECTION ADDED SECOND NAME TO LAST NAME
For instance, if you want SMITH/STEVE should read STEVE/SMITH, then you can easily do it on Delta bookings. Thus, to indicate that a name correction has been made, you can add the following OSI message to the PNR.
OSI DL NAME CORRECTION FIRST AND LAST NAME INVERTED
There are several ways to fix name mistakes that you may have made when purchasing your travel. The three procedures listed below are available to passengers who want to amend or fix an inaccurate name on their ticket:
The name correction is available at the airport counter under Delta Airlines’ name correction policy. However, you must visit the airport 2 hours before the flight’s planned departure.
You can take the following actions to alter the name at the airport desk.
- Go to the airline counter at the airport and request for “Name Change.”
- The executive will ask for flight information, including the confirmation number and full name.
- They will fetch the flight details.
- After that, provide the correct name.
- You have to provide the necessary ID proof to confirm the same.
- Finally, pay the necessary fare differences and the Delta name change fees.
It is the most convenient way to make name corrections on Delta flights. Here are the simple steps to change your name on Delta flights.
- Firstly, visit the official website to submit a request for a Delta change of account name.
- Select “My Trips” on the homepage.
- Type the “Ticket number” and the “First and Last Name” as well as the “Confirmation number,” “Credit/Debit number,” or “Confirmation code.”
- Enter the information and press the arrow to continue.
- The flight details will appear on the screen.
- Click on the Edit icon.
- There will be three options. Changes to the itinerary, flights, and personal information. To correct the incorrect name on your ticket issued by Delta Airlines, select the third option.
- Make necessary corrections as per the Delta Airlines name change policy.
- However, you have to support your request with valid government documents, travel documents, etc.
- Confirm your changes by paying the applicable fees.
- Lastly, print the reissued ticket.
- Travelers should call +1 800-221-1212.
- Follow the IVR instructions to get in touch with the airline’s executive.
- Ask the executive to make corrections in the name.
- Share the flight details.
- After that executive will confirm whether your booking is eligible for a name change or not.
- Provide the right name along with proof.
- The passenger will ask to pay the name change fee.
- Pay the fees to complete the process.
- After the completion of the request, you will receive a confirmation mail.
Passengers who own a SkyMiles account can also call +1 800-221-1212 for Delta SkyMiles name change. You have to share your SkyMiles account details to process your request.
Delta Airlines allows name change without incurring any extra fees if the passenger process its request within 24 hours of booking. It is applicable for both Delta domestic and international flights. However, if the passengers request a name change after the risk-free period, then they have to pay additional fees.
Delta Airlines charges $75 to $400 for changing the name on the bookings. The price variation depends on
- Flight route.
- Type of ticket.
- Time before flight departure.
Delta Airlines does not allow the transfer of tickets to another person. It does not allow to change the entire name. The airlines permit only the original traveler to fly even after the name correction. The airlines consider the full name change on a flight booking as prohibited practice. If you want to fully modify your name on Delta bookings, then you have to cancel it and rebook it.
Can you change the name on Delta flight bookings?
Delta Airlines does not allow changing the name on the flight bookings; instead, it allows only minor name corrections in the middle name, surname, or first name.
How long does it take to change the name on Delta tickets?
Delta Airlines quickly process any requests. In case of a name change on flight tickets, Delta can take up to 24 hours. You will receive an email once a request is completed.
How much do airlines charges for name correction within 24 hours of booking?
Under the Delta Airlines name change policy, there will be no extra charges for name corrections made within 24 hours of booking.
How much do Delta charges for name corrections?
Delta Airlines name change fees depend on the route, type of ticket, and time before the flight departure. The name change fee varies from $75 to $400.
What are the ways to correct the name on Delta flights?
Passengers have three ways to request name correction on Delta tickets.
- Visiting the official website
- Visiting the airport counter
- Calling the airline executive.
What are the rules for making corrections in the last name on Delta flight tickets?
According to the Delta Airlines name change policy, passengers can add or remove up to three characters in their last name. If they want to make more modifications, they have to reach out to the reservation desk.
What type of name corrections are permitted by Delta Airlines?
Delta Airlines permits
- Correction to First/ Middle Name.
- Correction to the last Name.
- Addition to the last name without changing the name.
- First and last names are reversed on the ticket.
What documents do I need to provide for making name corrections?
You will have to submit valid ID proof to make name corrections. However, in case of a name change due to marriage, you have to submit a marriage certificate. On the other hand, you will have to provide a divorce decree or legal notice in case of a name change due to divorce.
How to contact Delta Airlines for a name change?
You can visit the official website and choose the Help Center option to reach out to the airline’s executive to correct the name on flight bookings. On the other hand, you can also call + 1 800-221-1212 for new and existing reservation support.